- 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley or basil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1-2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1-2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Cook the pasta as directed (add 2 tsp of kosher salt to the water) and save 1 1/2 cups of the water before draining.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot and add the garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic starts to turn golden (don’t let it burn – the garlic can become bitter if it cooks to the point that it turns brown)
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the reserved pasta water + any add-in above – except the peas – and bring to a boil.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and simmer for 5 minutes (until reduced by 1/3).
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley / basil and parmesan cheese.
- Add in the peas if using.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and serve with extra parmesan on top.
Variations & Notes:
- Watch Ina Garten’s video on how to make this recipe.
- Try sprinkling with fresh lemon juice at the end and / or substituting 1/2 cup of the pasta water with white wine.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...