- 2 tbs + 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lg yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded & finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 2″ x 1/4″ strips (for garnish, optional)
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled (for garnish, optional)
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbs oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potato, bell pepper, jalepeno, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the beans, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook approximately 30 minutes (until the sweet potatoes and beans are very tender).
- If using tortillas (the soup is great with or without them), lightly cover the tortilla strips with olive oil (approx 2 tsp) and sprinkle with salt. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Stir in the cilantro (save 1 tbs for garnish) and the lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with tortillas, feta, and cilantro.
Variations & Notes:
- This soup is great with and without the tortillas and feta.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...