- 2 oz. mixed dried mushrooms, such as oysters, porcini, and chanterelles, plus more for garnish, optional – rinsed & cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 16 oz. fresh mushrooms, such as cremini and white button, chopped or sliced (2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 cup sherry (Holland House Cooking Sherry)
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw cashews & 1 cup water, blended until smooth
- Place dried mushrooms in medium bowl (after rinsing and cutting). Cover with 2 cups hot water, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Bring soaking liquid and broth to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cover, and keep warm.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rehydrated mushrooms and 1/4 tsp. salt; sauté 2 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Transfer mushrooms to plate; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil in same saucepan over medium heat.
- Add fresh mushrooms, shallot, pepper, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and stir in sherry. Simmer 3 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Whisk flour into broth mixture. Stir broth mixture into mushroom mixture, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée until smooth or place in the Vitamix and blend.
- Return soup to pot; stir in creamer and reserved rehydrated mushrooms, reserving a few for garnish, if using.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Variations & Notes:
This is an adaption of the following recipe: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/creamy-mushroom-soup/