SUBSCRIBE / CONTACT
Seitan Black Bean Corn Burgers
- 1 cup seitan
- 1 14-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbs vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs (or 2 slices of bread, toasted)
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp celery salt (or regular salt)
- Drain the seitan, if it is packed in water. Add it to a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the beans & process until finely chopped. Remove this mixture to a bowl.
- Add the vegan worcestershire sauce, tamari, bread crumbs, flour, corn, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and celery salt to the seitan/bean mixture and mix well with your hands (or a spoon). Adjust the mixture with salt or add bread crumbs to make the mixture wet but not too wet.
- Begin forming patties (1/4 cup of mixture per patty works well), approx. the size of your palm.
- Heat a panini maker (on sear setting – a George Foreman grill will work)
- Cook patties until dark on either side. If you let them burn a little, it will taste more like a grilled burger.
You can make ahead and place the patties on wax paper or wrap them in plastic wrap. Serve with sauteed mushrooms and avocado slices on toasted whole wheat buns.
This recipe is an adaptation from a recipe in the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook, which I highly recommend!