- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 3 tbs Bragg liquid aminos
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth and liquid aminos to a boil.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and pepper to a large bowl in an electric mixer on the lowest setting fitted with a dough hook to combine the ingredients.
- Add the warm water and continue mixing on the next highest setting. Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes to make it more elastic.
- Stretch out the dough ball to 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. Cut it into 3-inch squares and place the squares into the boiling liquid.
- Cook for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, keeping a constant simmer going.
- Remove the seitan from the pot and drain.
- Let completely cool before slicing, chopping, etc. (iIt’s much easier to cut after it has been refrigerated for a day or so.)
- Seitan can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week (The flavor improves over time.)
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...