- 1T kosher salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 4T extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 more tablespoons
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1/4-1/2T hot red-pepper flakes (can use 3/4T if adding cashew cream, otherwise, ONLY use 1/2T)
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes (fresh is best, but can use 1 can organic chopped tomatoes)
- 1 pound penne
- Sea salt
- 1/3c fresh parsley or basil (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Meanwhile, put 4 tablespoons olive oil and garlic (if using) in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and then add the tomato paste and pepper flakes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir just until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and remove from the heat.
- Drop the pasta into the boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta and the reserved pasta water to the tomato sauce, stir and toss over medium heat until the pasta is well coated.
- Season with salt if necessary, and add fresh parsley / basil (if using).
- Serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.