- 4 tbs olive oil, divided, plus extra for brushing
- 1 lg red onion, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/4″ slices
- artichoke walnut pesto
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- 1 lg tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup spinach or arugula
- Make or defrost the artichoke walnut pesto.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbs oil over medium heat. Add onions and let cook 20-30 minutes, until tender and carmelized. Season with salt, and transfer to a bowl.
- When the onions have 15 minutes to go, heat remaining 2 tbs oil in a separate skillet. Saute mushrooms over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until lightly browned and the juices have evaporated.
- Heat a panini press on medium heat.
- Assemble: Spread the artichoke walnut pesto on each slice of bread and layer onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach / arugula in between the slices.
- Cook on the panini press for a minute or two (be careful not to over-toast the bread as ciabatta rolls can become hard).
- Slice panini in half diagonally and serve immediately.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...