- 2t olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 5 cups coarsely chopped potatoes, peeled (if smooth & thin-skinned, unpeeled)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 4 oz cashew cream (2 oz. raw cashews + 2 oz. water blended until smooth)
- 1 packed cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2t salt
- 1/2t pepper
- Fresh chives
- Shitake bacon
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and salt. Cook until very soft but not browned (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the potatoes, water, and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the cashew cream and cheese.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each bowl with chives and shitake bacon.
Notes & Variations:
See mushroom soup recipe for inspiration.