- 3 large or 6 medium beets
- ¾ cup walnuts or sliced almonds
- 6 cups torn greens, one type or an assortment (arugula is great)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
Dressing (NYT Recipe):
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dressing (Ina Garten Recipe):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1t dijon mustard
- 1/2t salt & 1/4t pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the beets, and while they are still wet, wrap them individually in foil. Put them on a rimmed baking sheet and cook, undisturbed, until you can pierce them easily with a thin-bladed knife, 60 to 90 minutes. Once the beets have cooled, peel them (I like to rub the skin off under running water), and cut them into chunks.
- Put the walnuts or almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant and beginning to darken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the greens and put them in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar. Screw the lid on tightly and shake vigorously until the dressing becomes thick and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour some of the dressing onto the greens and toss to coat; pile the greens on 4 plates. Put the beets in the bowl while slightly warm, toss with some of the dressing and arrange them on top of or around the greens. Crumble the nuts and goat cheese on top, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and serve.