- 1 lb whole wheat eggless pasta or store-bought whole wheat penne
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced (approx. 8 oz)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes or diced tomatoes, including juices
- 6 to 8 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2-1 cup cooked lentils
- 2 tbs chia seeds (optional)
- Cook as directed.
- Cook 1/2 cup lentils as directed on the package.
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic then stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper then sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the mushrooms and turn heat to medium-high. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until most of the liquid released from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the basil, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, oregano and thyme then stir to combine. Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce.
- Add the red pepper flakes, chia seeds, and lentils, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer while stirring every so often. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes and serve over pasta.
Variations & Notes:
- Instead of pasta, try serving over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...