10 Spices (makes 1/2 cup):
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 12 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet or yellow onions, diced
- 6 medium carrots, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups (approx. 1 lg) sweet potato or butternut squash, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 28-oz cans of diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 tbs 10-spice blend (above)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Blend all of the spices together (store in a glass jar with a tight lid).
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 5 minutes (or until the onion is translucent).
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine cashews and 2 cups of veggie broth. Blend on the highest speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper, potato / squash, celery, tomatoes, remaining veggie broth, cashew cream, and the 10-spice blend to the pot. Stir well to combine everything.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low. Season with salt, pepper, and bay leaves. You may want to add in a tsp more of the 10-spice blend.
- Simmer, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- During the last 5 minutes of simmering, stir in the kale and beans.
- Discard the bay leaves before serving.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...