- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (such as shiitake)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup Italian / sourdough bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- grapeseed oil for frying
- slider buns or dinner rolls
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- fresh basil leaves (for garnish, optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion and mushrooms until soft and lightly browned (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook a few more minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor.
- Add cooked brown rice, bread crumbs, flour, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Pulse until the mixture just comes together.
- Season to taste and form the mixture into 1-2″ balls for sliders or hamburger patties (depending on your buns / preference).
- Heat grapeseed oil in large skillet over medium high heat and fry the burgers in batches.
Bringing it All Together:
- Slice buns in half and brush the insides with olive oil.
- Toast the buns until lightly browned on the edges.
- Layer a spoonful of marinara sauce, burger, spoonful of pesto sauce, and a fresh basil leave on each bun.
- If making sliders, use tooth picks to hold the sliders together.
- Serve immediately.
Variations & Notes:
- Burger patties can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Try baking the patties for 30 minutes first at 350 degrees and then frying (end up using less oil this way).
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...