Time: 60 Minutes
Cooking brown rice can be a little tricky. The key is to soften the texture of each grain’s bran coating without causing the rice to become mushy. Cooking and then steaming the rice allows the grains to retain its integrity and results in light and fluffy rice.
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Put rice and water in a pot with a lid and set the heat to high.
- Bring the rice to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 15 minutes (do not remove the lid).
- Stir in salt.
You can also cook brown rice in an Instant Pot, which helps to ensure it turns out perfect every time. Here’s how:
Instant Pot Directions:
- Turn the Instant Pot “Saute” setting on.
- Place 1 tbs olive oil in the pot to heat.
- Add 2 cups of rice and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt.
- Stir and set the pressure cooker to Manual for 24 minutes (this is for high altitudes — 22 minutes for sea level cooking).
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
Note: If you are doubling the recipe, set the Manual timer to 26 minutes.