- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (approx. 2 cups)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups (400 g) peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash
- 1 large sweet potato (450 g), peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- Cooked brown rice
- Cilantro or parsley, minced
- Garlic powder & chili powder
- Cook the brown rice.
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic to a large pot and saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the squash and sweet potato, along with a pinch of salt and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes (with juice), coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Stir well and increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash and potatoes are cooked.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to taste.
- Stir in the kale and cook for two minutes until wilted.
- Serve with brown rice and top with cilantro / parsley, and garlic powder / chili powder.
Variations & Notes:
- Chickpeas can be used in place of the lentils.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...