Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- 2 tbs olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbs whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce / 1 28-oz can tomatoes chopped in blender
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion salt or powder
- 1/8 tsp cocoa
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar (optional)
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato sauce / tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt / powder into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Add apple cider vinegar, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt.
Variations & Notes:
- You can also use 6-8 oz. of tomato paste + 2 cups of vegetable broth, instead of the tomato sauce / canned tomatoes.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...