Serves: 4 for 2 nights
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 3/4 – 2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale, tough ribs removed
- juice of 1 lemon
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water.
- Add 2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend most of the soup, but not puree — you want some chunks.
- Add the chopped greens. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice as needed.
If You Loved This Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy ...
Did You Make This Recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below...